Saturday, September 11, 2010

Beefcake Week: Going for the Grell!


Over on Sally P's blog, it's Beefcake Week, which she has dedicated to displays of male pulchritude. I thought I'd take the opportunity to spotlight the art of someone who's drawn a lot of beefcake in his day: Mike Grell.



Here's a guy who designed perhaps the most scantily-clad male mainstream comic character ever....






.....Travis Morgan, also known as The Warlord.


I met Mike Grell recently at the last Chicago Comic Con. He was very friendly. We had a lot of laughs about the design of this guy....



That's Cosmic Boy from the Legion of Super Heroes. Grell explained to me what he was going for with Cos' design: He wanted to eliminate the pink the original costume had, but still retain its other elements. The only thing is that, at the time, he was unfamiliar with "the bustier", and happy coincidence followed.


The other Legionnaire costume we shared a laugh about was Tyroc. "That one," he explained, "I did on purpose."

Non-beefcake bonus: For anyone who wondered what I look like.....


... I'm the one without the hat.

3 Comments:

At 2:56 PM , Blogger Saranga said...

Ha! I love the warlord's loin cloth! very subtle!

 
At 3:10 PM , Blogger SallyP said...

And you're wearing the PERFECT shirt!

Lovely beefcake by the way, both Warlord's loincloth and Rokk's corset are simply fab.

 
At 7:42 AM , Blogger DinosaurPrince said...

Love the Warlord. He's so sexy. I need to find his comic. He's certainly inspiring some hot fan art at my blog. XD

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home